Search
Filters
Close

Searching a transfomer to use with a DCX2496

Posted: 10 years ago Quote #161
kepa1 posted:

Hi there and congrats for the forum,
Can someone point me to a transformer that would take the signal out of AKM4393 DACS http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak4393/ak4393.html inside the DCX2496 active crossover?

As far as I understand transformers science, it should meet these criteria :
- have a 1 : 1 ratio,
- respect the 600 Ohm output of the DAC and the "basic" input impedance of home amplifiers,
- be able to take a 5V balanced signal and unbalance it,
- be less than 40mm tall (sorry I can't translate that in inches),
- preferably not need a capacitor to work,
- and of course sound wonderful!

The XS1100 seems to be the top of Edcor line but I'm not sure it would fit...

Anyway, we are a bunch of DCX2496 users who want to get rid of the stock output board and there might be a grouped order or why not a need for a custom design transformer ??

All the best from France

Alain

---------------------

Larry replied:

Alain, Welcome. Sorry I'm slow but 40 mm would give us about 1.5 inches. The TPC103 is less than 40 mm and is 600 - 600 Ohms. Great frequency response. Will go from balanced to unbalanced or visa versa. Check our web site for more details. It has Euro style connectors and will mount anywhere. The TTPC103 is stereo.Thanks for joining.

Larry

---------------------

kepa1 replayed:

Thank you very much for the fast answer Larry!
This model looks very promising. I didn't noticed it on the first time but it seems it is the only series that does balanced to unbalanced conversion, is it (whereas the XSM WSM series don't)?

I'll have to check if they can fit in the DCX2496 box, I may need 4 or 6 of them! By the way, would that be possible for you to deliver the transformers without their plates (where the connectors are) to reduce their size?

While browsing your site I noticed the PC series with a 600 / 600 transformer. It looks pretty much like the TPC103 save the frequency response and the PCB - that's the interesting point because space is really an issue inside the active crossover.

Can you confirm that? Will sound quality be the same? If not I still can go for the TPC and remove the PCB afterwards.

Thanks again

---------------------

Brian Weston replied:

The TPC and TTPCs use the PC series transformers on the board. You will have the same sound and quality with the TPC/TTPC or PC series.

---------------------

kepa1 replied:

Hello,

Forgive the newbie attitude but I'm discussing the right choice for the transformer on another board and I've been told the WSM / XSM series will give a "fuller" sound than the PCs. Given that they seemingly do bal / unbal conversion too and that I could mount them laterally (size issue), do you think they would be a better choice? Do they stand more DC than their counterparts?

And what about the XS1100?

Thank you

Alain

---------------------

Larry replied:

Alain,

The WSM & XSM are not really gapped for a DC component. However, many people do use them as such. Must be quite low DC. They have a larger core than most PC mounts and offer more lows. We do have a series of PC mount "PCW" that have the same core size as the WSM and the same good lows. They are the same size as the XS1100. The XS1100 is not gapped either. In fact it is nearly impossible to gap a PC mount. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Perhaps we can make a special for you.

Larry

---------------------

kepa1 replied:

Larry,

First let me give you the AKM DAC specs it outputs +-2,5VDC, which I figure is not low DC, but that should be cancelled as the signal is balanced, right?
Some persons do use transformers with this DAC as LP + HP filter and they report great sound and no smoke! Models include Lundahl 1674 and, possibly, Sowter 3603.
http://www.lundahl.se/pdfs/datash/1674.pdf
http://www.audioaddict.fr/article/fr_3603%20Data%20sheet.pdf

So far the PC, or better, the PCW seems to be the perfect candidate for me, if you think it can replace the above mentioned gear.

Thanx again

---------------------

Larry replied:

Alain, Your right as long as it is balanced the DC cancels. The PCW should work like a charm. Let us know if we can get you going.

Larry
Brian Weston
Tech Support
EDCOR Electronics Corporation
Posted: 10 years ago Quote #162
vtalor replied:

Salut

I have a similar project looking for an O/P transformer and I have a couple of questions:

1. I've been told that the WSM is a little bigger (and better) than the PCW
2. I like the idea of ordering with Nickel cores - I want something special. Good idea?

Thanks

Vernon

---------------------

Brian Weston replied:

The PCW and the WSM have the same amount of steel, meaning they have the same amount of core. The PCW core is 5/8" x 1/2" and the WSM is 1/2" x 5/8".

Now about nickel cores. The first thing is that nickel has a much lower saturation level then steel. What does this mean? Let's say that you are putting 10V into a WSM with a steel core; you would have to put less than 2V in it with a nickel core. Nickel cores are great for very low levels like microphone level, but not for high levels. We can build a WSM with a nickel core if you wish, but we do not spec it on our web site and the cost of the transformer is a lot more. This is due to the high price of nickel and because nickel cores have to be hand stacked. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

---------------------

vtaylor replied:

Yeah, I figured Nickel would be more sensitive - rightly or wrongly I associate that with more low level detail and perhaps dynamics.

However your comment about the saturation level worries me. The transformer will be used with an AD1865 DAC rigged to have a differential current output. Max output would be +/- 1mA with the secondary terminated into a 500R-1KR resistor. Given that the signal is differential/balanced is there going to be a risk of saturation? Is the PCW/WSM core big enough for my application?

Thanks in advance.

Vernon

---------------------

Brian Weston replied:

Yes, the PCW or the WSM is more then big enough to handle that.

---------------------

vtaylor replied:

Just to be clear - I meant the PCW/WSM with nickel cores - would they be big enough to avoid saturation and do you think there might be an improvement in fidelity?

Sorry to repeat the question - I think my original question might not have been clear.

Thanks for your time and help - I'll try to find time myself to write up the project (I made the front page of GA a while back ;-)

Vernon

---------------------

Brian Weston replied:

It should work with nickel as long as you don't put more than 14V RMS into it.
Brian Weston
Tech Support
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #871
Hi Brian,

I'm also thinking about using two WSM 600:600 transformers to convert a balanced signal out of an AK4490 DAC, my problem is finding a schematic that shows me exactly how to do it. I have seen some circuits that show resistors and capacitors in the circuit. Do you have a recommended circuit for a balanced to unbalanced conversion ?, A schematic would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Paul
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #876
I am very sorry for the delay in reply. I am sorry, but we do not have any information on them.
Brian Weston
Tech Support