Search
Filters
Close

S2Ma for summing rca left/right to single input for subwoofer

Posted: 3 years ago Quote #924
Brian Weston wrote:
I am not sure what the issue would be. connecting the two sleeves of the RCAs could allow the ground to follow through and not keep them isolated. I would use Justin idea of connecting them and seeing if they need to have a ground follow through. The S2M isolates the input and output grounds. This helps with any type of ground look problem, like a isolation transformer does. But, some units do not ground the signal input and expect the source to ground it. This could be causing the issue.

Thanks Brian, so I should short the sleeve of the RCA connector at the Sonos (either channel I assume) to the sleeve of the RCA connector at the amplifier?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #925
I would try that fist to see if a grounding issue is present.
Brian Weston
Tech Support
EDCOR Electronics Corporation
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #945
Brian, grounding the Sonos right RCA output connector (assume I could have used the left as well) directly to the amplifier input RCA connector removed the buzz. I am sorry to beat a dead horse, but why is this necessary to remove the buzz?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #946
One of the biggest problems I have found in sound installations is the ground. There are so many things that can cause ground issue. Ground loops, floating grounds, the lack of, or even plugging equipment in to a power outlet on the same line or different line. Isolation transformers are there to try to help with most ground loop issues, the most common issue. Some manufacturers has started building equipment with floating grounds and assume that the equipment that is hooked up to it will supply the ground for it. This can solve a ground loop issue, but can causes other issues if the other unit is not grounded or there is not a ground connection between the two units. In these cases an isolation transformer can work to keep some signal clean, but may need to have the ground follow through. I am sorry you had this issue.  
Brian Weston
Tech Support
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #947
Thanks Brian! We are going to start employing this Sonos + 70V amp configuration more often and would love a go-to summing solution, will we need to do this workaround everytime being as that the equipment would be the same?
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #948
I am sorry, but yes, you would, If the grounds are floating.
Brian Weston
Tech Support
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #949
If so desired you could get in touch with edcor and see if they will build exactly what you need or mod the existing product with a switch that selects whether the grounds are isolated or not.
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #950
thanks guys!
Posted: 3 years ago Quote #951
You're welcome.